The Death Penalty Needs to Die Out

Victoria Franz, Writer

Imagine sitting in a prison counting down every hour, minute, and second to the end of your life–regretting your previous actions, simply wishing to go back in time and do it all over again.

Such is the issue of the death penalty, which is a common topic under debate in this day and age. The death penalty is a prevalent issue because it only kills another person, rather than resolving an issue. As humans, we have no right to condemn these people to death based on previous actions because there is no direct correlation between the penalty and increasing safety in a community.

Studies show that families who choose to execute the victim’s killer are not even freed of the grief resulting from the criminal’s actions. Instead they regret not making an effort to get to know the criminal before sentencing them to death. Proponents of the death penalty may try to argue that money will be saved if a criminal is simply executed, rather than spending a lifetime in prison. However, execution would not save American tax dollars needed to pay for the criminal because the death penalty is, in most cases, much more expensive than life in prison. With the costs of torture methods, trials, and tests to acquire complete evidence, it is often much less expensive to sentence the criminal to life in prison. There are also no statistics to prove the death penalty encourages the decrease or cessation of crime in states that do legalize the executions. Many states that do not allow the death penalty often even have lower rates of crime than those who do validate these executions. Therefore, there is no clear connection between the use of the death penalty and crime rates in states.

The death penalty should not be illegal in every situation because it simply does not offer a solution to crime. It presents another issue, causing the victims’ families to regret their decision, as the act is morally unacceptable because it only creates another murder.