Applying to College

Claire Coughlin, Student Life Senior Editior

Most seniors have by now found a few schools they are interested in and have applied to a few as well. As I begin the last semester of my high school career, and college admission letters come in the mail, I begin to reflect on the journey that has been my quest to find a college that I will attend in the fall. For all high schoolers, college can be a very intense and stressful conversation topic, so as a senior who has gone through all the processes and stress of applying to college, here is some advice for each class.

Freshwomen: College may not even be on your radar this year. You’re just excited that you graduated 8th grade and finally gained some more freedom in high school. Enjoy this year, but don’t slack off. Good grades in this first year can help you accelerate into honors and AP classes in your next years, which look good on college applications.

Sophomores: Pay some more attention to colleges. It’s never too early to start your college search, though it may seem like it. Try and figure out what you might want to do with your life, or just try to figure out what your favorite school subjects are and start from there. Getting a gauge of this can help make your college search process easier down the road.

Juniors: I know. The emails are annoying. They just get worse so don’t expect them to stop coming any time soon. Don’t totally ignore them though; I filtered through the names of each school that emailed me and thought about if it would be a potential school I would like to attend. This year is critical in the college process. Signing up for the SAT and ACT, as well as actually visiting some college campuses can be incredibly stressful, but it is necessary. Take some challenging classes that actually make you think this year, and remember that colleges take a good look at your grades from this year.

Seniors: Congratulations! You’ve made it this far in your high school career and you just have to finish the last half of the year. Be excited for college but don’t forget the memories you made with your friends here in high school.