Travel Ban Causes Airport Protests

Protesters jam the north security gate to San Francisco International Airport, Sunday, Jan. 29, 2017, condemning President Trump's executive order banning citizens from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the country. (Karl Mondon/Bay Area News Group)

Bay Area News Group

Bay Area News Group

Olivia Zucco, Writer

Recently, protests have erupted all over the country after President Donald Trump issued an executive order banning entry into the United States for people born in seven designated countries: Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Sudan, Yemen, and Somalia. According to CNN Politics, the ban is for 90 days and it suspends all refugee admission for 120 days.

Many people were turned away at airports, even though they had visas, which allowed them entry into the United States. President Donald Trump decided to make this executive order because he believes that it will protect the United States from terrorism. People that planned and prepared for years all of the paperwork to gain legal admission into the United States were turned away when they arrived at the airport. Some were even deported back to their native countries.

In the Buffalo area, students at the University at Buffalo were from one of the seven countries included in the ban. They were out of the country visiting family and will not be able to return back to school.

People went to airports around the country, including airports in California, Philadelphia, New York City, Michigan, and even our home town of Buffalo to protest. On Saturday, January 28, 2017 150 people were at the Buffalo Niagara International airport protesting. On January 29, 2017 people were held and not allowed to enter the United States from the banned countries. There were two different protests at the Gerald D. Ford International Airport in Michigan. At the Philadelphia airport there were police who had to stop traffic due to all of the protesters in the streets.

In response to the protests at the JFK airport in New York City, Governor Cuomo said, “I never thought I’d see the day when refugees, who have fled war-torn countries in search of a better life, would be turned away at our doorstep.” (Buffalo News)

Many federal judges issued injunctions stopping the enforcement of the ban. An injunction issued by a federal district court judge in Seattle, Washington stopped the enforcement of the ban throughout the country. That order was appealed by the Trump Justice Department to the ninth circuit court of appeals. As of this writing the injunction has been upheld. The executive order is not allowed to be enforced until the court rules whether or not President Trump has exceeded his constitutional power in issuing the order. The final determination has not yet been made.