Searching for the Cup

Madeline Greene, Sports Writer

The Stanley Cup: the most coveted trophy in the entire National Hockey League. The Buffalo Sabres are one of the few teams that do not have a Stanley Cup win in their history- and now they have neither a head coach nor a general manager. On April 19, 2017 Sabres owner, Terry Pegula, fired General Manager Tim Murray and Head Coach Dan Bylsma. It has been six years since the Sabres have made it into the playoffs, with 1999 being the last time the Sabres made it into the Finals. Our generation can’t remember a time when the Sabres were a good team, which is why we need them to thrive again. Will the recent fires do the trick?

When I think of a good hockey team model, the Pittsburgh Penguins come to mind. They just won the 2016 Stanley Cup and have hockey stars like Sydney Crosby, their center and captain, who dominate the ice and attain 7 points in 5 games. Jack Eichel, on the other hand, only has 9 points over a total of 19 games. The 1999 Buffalo Sabres team coached by Lindy Ruff with key players like Mike Pena, Rob Ray, and Dominik Hasek, was the last Sabres team to make it to the Stanley Cup Finals. Both the Pittsburgh Penguins and the 1999 Sabres are highly offensive teams, and as a result, highly accomplished teams. The Sabres’ best players are Jack Eichel, Ryan O’Reilly, and Evander Kane, all in offensive positions. Now my question and likely Pegula’s main question: Why is Dan Bylsma wasting this talent by playing a mainly defensive game, instead of maximizing the massive offensive skill our team already has?

Therefore, I support Pegula’s decision to remove Bylsma and Murray. Under this management, the Sabres have had a six year playoff drought and have continued with losing streaks even after the team received their savior draft pick, Jack Eichel. Under an entirely new management, I have hope that 33-37-12 seasons can become Stanley Cup seasons.