New Bills’ Coach Sean McDermott: From Intern to Head Coach

Madison Nitsche, Sports Writer

The Buffalo Bills undergo reconstruction as they hire Sean McDermott as the new head coach. McDermott has a background in football, being named “All-Southeastern Pennsylvania” at defensive back in 1992 and was an all-conference safety at the College of William and Mary in 1997. Not to mention the fact McDermott was a national prep champion wrestler in 1992 and 1993. He also received the “Academic All-Conference Honors” and “NSCA Strength and Conditioning All-American Accolades” while in college.
Starting in 1999, McDermott was hired as the Philadelphia Eagles’ Scouting Administrative Coordinator, then promoted to Assistant to Head Coach. He then transitioned into the Defensive Assistant and Quality Control, and later the Assistant Defensive Backs Coach. Sean was continuously promoted while with the Eagles to the Secondary Coach, Linebackers Coach, and lastly the Defensive Coordinator and Secondary Coach in the 2009 season. He was then signed as the Defensive coordinator to the Carolina Panthers from 2011-2016. Then on January 11, 2017, the Buffalo Bills named McDermott as the 20th head coach. He currently has the Bills in a playoff position, with the final few weeks of the season rapidly approaching.
While on the Eagles, McDermott’s mentor, Andy Reid, played a significant role on his growth and development in the NFL. Reid, had been with the Eagles over a decade, and led the team to nine playoffs and one Super Bowl in 2015. His endorsement of McDermott helped him gain a spot as the Bills’ Head Coach.
“Sean is a smart guy that works really hard and has all the intangibles lined up for him. He’s really going to be a tremendous head coach. I think the Buffalo Bills made the right decision there… High, high integrity, extremely hard working and very intelligent. I’m proud of him. He’s earned this opportunity.”
The Bills’ faithful fans and owners, Terry and Kim Pegula, are excited about the diligent philosophy that McDermott brings to the Bills. On the day he was signed, Terry Pegula had this to say about the new head coach…
“We believe we have hired a smart, determined, and hardworking head coach who has been training for many years to achieve this goal. Sean is an ambitious leader who has the desire to lead this organization to compete for and ultimately win a Super Bowl. We look forward to working with Sean for many years to come.”
As the Bills remain in a 17 year playoff drought, the Bills nation remains hopeful that McDermott is the right man for the job to lead them to victory.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “New Bills’ Coach Sean McDermott: From Intern to Head Coach”

1. Katherine Connerton on December 13th, 2017 9:06 am

This article is a work of art, these words move me and my life has been changes. But the fact they did that punt on Sunday #stillshook

2. Brigid Christ on December 13th, 2017 9:21 am

Nice article!!!

3. Katherine on February 28th, 2018 8:01 am

THIS IS THE BEST ARTICLE ANYONE HAS EVER READ. YOU SHOULD GET A PROMOTION TO EDITOR.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• New Bills’ Coach Sean McDermott: From Intern to Head Coach

News

Art Department Meeting “A Step in the Right Direction”

Editorials

Vaccinate Now

Editorials

Ivy Leagues are Overrated

Features

Is Having Open Campus Really a Bad Thing?

Showcase

Spirit Week Successes

News

The Grammy Awards

Editorials

The Meaning of Christmas

Editorials

The Controversy of College Hazing

Showcase

The SHA Musical…Once on This Island!

Showcase

SHA Halloween 2018