Can Students Make A Change?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Can Students Make A Change?

Olivia Zucco, Staff Writer

Wednesday, February 14th, 2018. Students and teachers around the world got up, had breakfast, prepared for the day ahead at school and finally said goodbye to their parents and spouses. In Parkland, Florida, 17 of those students and teachers would not be returning home.
A disgruntled former student entered the school armed with an AR-15 style semi-automatic rifle and multiple magazines. For reasons known only to him, he opened fire and killed 17 innocent students and teachers. This was not an isolated incident. In 2018 alone there have been 18 previous school shootings in the United States.
In the past, after a school shooting there has not been any movement to prevent this from happening again. The students at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High school wanted to change that. Students spoke out about how they felt after the shooting. They spoke to the public on what they think needs to change to stop gun violence in schools across America.
Not only are these students committed to making a change, but they have asked students around the country to join them. On Wednesday, March 14th, a month after the school shooting, students across the country participated in walkouts. Students spent 17 minutes outside, 17 to represent the 17 victims who were killed. The purpose of these walkouts was to bring awareness to the issue of gun violence in schools and to honor the 17 victims in the Parkland Florida shooting.
Schools around the country had different things that the students did during the walkouts. Some students walked out of their schools with signs and chanted sayings like “No more guns”. Other students were not political, and instead they had peaceful walkouts.
At Sacred Heart students, faculty, staff and teachers all gathered in the auditorium for a prayer service. We all said prayers that represented different religions and students played music. Then we walked out. Students gathered in a circle in front of the school. 17 student leaders each told a little about the lives of each of the victims. Then we all joined hands and prayed the Our Father.
While these walkouts alone do not make change, they show that students want to make a change with the issue of gun violence in schools. In the United States we need the government to listen and make stricter gun laws to prevent this from happening again in the future.
Think about it: What if you were at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School? What if your friend or cousin or sister was killed? How would you feel? How would it affect you for the rest of your life? 17 families have to deal with the hardship of losing a loved one.
Will the government listen to these students around the country and make a change so that a school shooting does not happen again in the future? Time will only tell, but the students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High school and students across the country are not ready to give up.