New Year, New You!

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Year, New You!

Fiona Murphy, Student Life Editor

Another year has passed, and we now welcome a new one — 2019! With the start of a new year comes the opportunity to reflect on what we have accomplished in 2018, how we have grown, and the memories we have made. However, we also have the opportunity to set new goals for the upcoming year. Here are some ideas to help you make 2019 the best year it can be!

1. Stop procrastinating! If you have an assignment or task that needs to be done, don’t wait until the last minute to do it. Get it done right away and save yourself the stress of having to rush.
2. Make sleep a priority. Studies have shown that teenagers need more sleep than any other age group. A lack of sleep can affect your mood and performance in school or other activities. Try to sleep 8-9 hours a night to feel well-rested in the morning.
3. Take up a new hobby. Knitting, painting, running, playing the piano — the possibilities are endless! 2019 may be the year that you uncover a hidden talent.
4. Go out of your way to be nice. Hold the door open for others, say please and thank you, give compliments freely. One act of kindness can make someone else’s day and boost your mood too.
5. Worry less. Oftentimes we worry about things we can’t control, and this adds unnecessary stress to our lives. Let go of what you cannot control.

These are just a few ideas of goals that you can set for the new year. Commit to a handful and hopefully by 2020 you can look back at your 2019 and see that you checked off some of your goals. Happy New Year!